There are many adults and older teens needing their teeth straightened and Invisalign® is becoming the popular option. Invisalign® is a set of clear, hard plastic aligners custom-fitted to the patient. These aligners are examined and replaced over the course of treatment as the teeth begin to straighten.
The doctors and the oral healthcare professionals at Bayport Dental Care, located near you in Bayport, want to educate their patients, current and new, on this popular straightening option.
As with everything, there are pros and cons to the Invisalign® treatment. It is important to know all of the details in order to make an informed decision that is right for you.
Pros of Invisalign®
Below are 5 good reasons to consider the Invisalign® treatment.
- Comfort – The plastic retainer trays are more comfortable to wear. The aligners are smooth and feel similar to a mouthguard.
- Attractive – The clear aligner trays eliminate the stigma of “metal mouth”. Most of the time, the trays go unnoticed by others and often are not visible in photos or selfies.
- Convenient – Invisalign® has become the norm for straightening teeth for adults and older teens. This treatment method is now available on a widespread scale.
- Can be Removed – The aligners can be removed when eating, brushing and flossing. There are no food restrictions, and their removal promotes improved oral hygiene throughout the treatment period. With traditional metal braces, there are always food restrictions, along with a higher risk of gum disease.
- Minimal Maintenance – Invisalign® retainers are low maintenance. The retainers can be freshened with the use of a toothbrush and, if necessary, cleaned by dipping in water with a few drops of bleach.
Cons of Invisalign®
Below are 3 issues to know when considering the Invisalign® treatment.
- Expensive – Generally, a patient can expect to pay between $3,500-$8,000, and many dental policies do not cover this treatment method.
- Attachments – Sometimes, attachments are necessary for a custom treatment. These attachments adhere to the teeth to “click” into the alignment trays. These attachments allow for trays to fit better and effectively align the teeth but will make the trays more noticeable.
- Discomfort – Although any discomfort is defined as “pressure”, there will be some pain when teeth are adjusting to a new aligner set. This discomfort can be alleviated with an over-the-counter reliever.
The pros and cons listed above are completely subjective. The definition of inconvenient and uncomfortable by one person will not be same for another. Overall, the Invisalign® treatment offers the opportunity for adults and older teens to straighten and correct the misalignment of teeth while maintaining self-confidence and lifestyle. For many, these are priceless.
If you would like a consultation for personalized information on the Invisalign® treatment, then please contact the oral healthcare professionals at Bayport Dental Care, located in Bayport, where new patients are always welcome.
Bayport Dental Care is trusted and highly recommended for Invisalign® treatments, as well as other treatments and procedures in cosmetic and restorative dentistry.